Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flour

So I have been completely underwhelmed by the quality of the bread products in my neighborhood. My assumption is that the flour that is used to create these inedible concoctions was chemically treated and over processed. I figured it would be fairly easy to make my own, superior product, so I decided to start with the flour.

I have some of the purest wheat flown in from Iowa (or Kansas) so that I could start from a good base. Utilizing my carpentry skills I made some tiered beds on my roof. After it was grown, I harvested it with my bare hands and kept it in bushes tied off with yarn I made from my sheep. The tricky part was going to be grinding this down.

After excavating a large chunk of limestone from a nearby quarry, I began to shape it into a millstone using the techniques developed in the early 12th century. Once I had the wheel set up, I lashed my dog to the mechanism so that he could pull it around and help me make the flour.

All in all, it was pretty easy.

1 comment: